Thanks to everyone who applied for our third year!
We’ll be announcing NEW INC member selections for the 2016-2017 term by August 1st.
Keep your eyes here for more upcoming announcements!
NEW INC is not your typical incubator. We are a visionary group of creative practitioners who embrace risk, investigate the undiscovered and undefined, and engage with urgent issues and ideas at the intersection of culture, technology, and the new economy.
NEW INC offers 40 full-time and 40 part-time memberships a year and encourage both individuals and teams to apply — applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Read our Year 1 Member Case Studies here. Year 2 is underway.
2016-2017 Research themes
Special consideration will be given to applicants working in the following fields:
- Open Software / Open Hardware
- Online Communities
- Climate Change Sustainable Design
- Civic Engagement & Digital Activism
- Data & Privacy
- Alternative Economies & Business Models
- Artificial Intelligence
- Blockchain-based Systems
- Virtual & Augmented Reality
Eligibility for NEW INC Membership
- Membership is open to emerging professionals not currently enrolled in an academic program.
- Applicants must be US citizens or have the ability to secure a visa for conducting business in the US. NEW INC can provide letters of recommendation but cannot secure a visa for you.
- Individuals and small teams of up to four people are eligible for membership.
- Full-time memberships require a twelve-month commitment and active participation in the professional development program.
- Part-time memberships are available for shorter terms but are subject to limited access to the space, resources, and programs.
Application Review Process and Criteria
Applications will be reviewed by NEW INC staff, as well as a selection committee comprised of New Museum staff, Rhizome and GSAPP leadership, as well as invited guest panelists and NEW INC alumni. Top applicants will be contacted for an in-person interview.
- Applicants must have a body of work, project, product, or creative enterprise positioned at the intersection of art, design, and technology.
- Applicants must articulate a bold, clear and compelling vision for what they want to achieve during their tenure at NEW INC. Bring a game plan.
- NEW INC is committed to fostering a diverse environment that is inclusive of a wide range of disciplines, backgrounds, cultures and perspectives. We are building a creative ecosystem and select members and projects accordingly.
- A limited number of need-based subsidized desks will be available to qualified applicants who demonstrate financial need.
- A limited number of scholarships will be given to women and people of color in order to facilitate their ability to participate in this program.
- Our program brings together a wide range of disparate but complementary disciplines under the banner of art, design & technology. Including but not limited to: Interactive Art & Design, Music & Sound Art, Fashion & Wearable Tech, Gaming, Architecture, Urban Design, Product Design, Dance & Performing Arts, Animation, Motion Graphics, Experimental Film, Video & Photography, Web & Mobile Development, and Publishing.
FROM OUR MEMBERS
"I think of NEW INC as my Creative MBA. REIFY started out as an art project but has really transformed during my time here."
"It's hard to overstate the amount of changes. I really had very little when I joined beyond an interesting idea and some initial momentum. It has turned from an artist's project into a business while at NEW INC."
"I honestly feel we the work we do here impacts the world and could not be done without the people who make NEW INC what it is."