OPEN CALL 2017
DEADLINE: APRIL 30, 2017
NEW INC is an incubator and professional development program founded by the New Museum to support ambitious ideas and approaches to culture, tech, and business that strive for a more creative, diverse, and equitable future. Our mission is to foster cultural value, not just capital value.
March 13: Applications Open
April 30: Applications Close
June 1: Shortlisted Applicants Invited for Interview
June 5–30: Interview Period
July 10–21: Acceptance Notifications
July 30: Final Decisions
September 8: NEW INC Start Date
Our 12-month program runs annually from September–August, and is designed to help creative practitioners and organizations leverage the tools of entrepreneurship to realize their ideas, become sustainable, and maximize potential for impact and scale.
Participants pay a monthly membership fee to take advantage of the professional development services, office space, and shared equipment. We offer programming, mentorship, and an inspiring community of peers.
NEW INC does not provide projects with funding, though we do provide guidance and support on grant applications, crowdfunding campaigns, and investor pitches, as well as relevant connections in our network.
Geared towards projects that have a clearly defined concept and strategy and are ready to hit the ground running, this track comes with the expectation of active community participation and regular program attendance. It also offers the most hands-on support from NEW INC staff and external mentors.
• $600/month (per team member)
• 24/7 access to NEW INC
• Dedicated desk space for each team member
• Dedicated mentor for each team
• Requires 12-month commitment
• Requires active participation in the NEW INC community, professional development programs, and events
This track is geared towards projects that are still in the concept development stage and those who can only commit to part-time participation in the program due to travel, employment, or other conflicting commitments. This track is also open to returning NEW INC members who have already completed one year of the program but wish to continue taking advantage of the workspace and programming resources.
• $350/month (per team member)
• 15 days/month access to NEW INC
• Access to communal desks
• Option of 6-month or 12-month commitment
❗NEW❗ Knight Foundation Grant
Prospective candidates developing new technologies to attract and engage art museum audiences may also qualify for NEW INC’s Knight Foundation grant. The fund will fully-subsidizes each team member’s twelve-month membership, facilitates trips to three US cities to meet museum experts, and qualifies the team for up to $10K in seed funding. Learn more here.
NEW INC offers a limited number of scholarships and subsidies based on financial need, with an emphasis on supporting women and people of color. Applicants who request assistance must provide additional information to supplement their applications.
Who Should Apply:
Our community is curated as an interdisciplinary ecosystem that represents a range of skills, backgrounds, cultures, and perspectives. We believe that diverse environments and cross-disciplinary exchange yield better ideas and more resilient networks. Our community includes:
• Independent Practitioners: Artists, designers, filmmakers, musicians, writers, activists, administrators, researchers, scientists, etc. who are developing ambitious, experimental new work that investigates emerging tech and its influence on culture
• Studios & Collectives: Teams working in design (graphic, mobile, web, product, architecture, fashion, animation, exhibition design, etc.) and entertainment (interactive installations, VR, AR, gaming, experiential, performance, etc.)
• Start-Ups: Early-stage non-profit, social enterprise or for-profit organizations working at the intersection of culture and tech
What We Provide:
• 8,000 sq. ft. of shared workspace centrally located on the Bowery, next door to the New Museum
• A professional development program geared towards creative professionals designed to help address entrepreneurial challenges such as fundraising, legal, product development, organizational structure, marketing & PR, and leadership skills
• Mentorship in the form of dedicated mentors and weekly one-on-one office hours with NEW INC staff, New Museum staff, and guest industry experts
• A 4,000 sq. ft. fabrication space and shared equipment and tools including 3D printers, Trotec laser cutter, Canon cameras, projectors and large format printers, Othermill desktop CNC, and other tools
• Opportunities to present work at NEW INC's bi-annual Demo Days and various partner events (e.g. our VR/AR conference VERSIONS, Moogfest, etc.)
• We are looking for creative practitioners and new organizations with a clearly-defined project, product, or business idea that demonstrates novel ways of thinking and working
• Membership is open to emerging professionals not currently enrolled in an academic program
• Applicants must be US citizens or have the ability to secure a visa for conducting business in the US; NEW INC can provide letters of recommendation but cannot secure you a visa
• Individuals and small teams of up to four people
• Clear and compelling vision and purpose
• Original and timely idea
• Innovative approach to or use of technology
• Strong grasp of project feasibility and path to success
• Demonstrated track record of previous work
• A skillset complementary to the incoming cohort
• Good fit for NEW INC program focus and available resources
• Aligned with NEW INC's values of experimentation, collaboration, and social impact