Courtesy GIPHY Creative Commons.
1. Rhizome’s 7 On 7 keynote speaker Doreen St. Felix profiles iconic artist Kara Walker in New York Magazine. [Vulture]
2. For those less artistically inclined, Google has introduced AutoDraw. After users draft a few lines, the app will fabricate a professional line drawing of the intended image. The first set of images are from a number of designers and illustrators, including NEW INC’s HAWRAF design studio. [artnet News]
3. The Museum of Modern Art is hosting a film series to explore Black representation in movies. Entitled, “Making Faces on Film,” it explores the struggle for authentic on-screen representation. The Times says “[t]he road to authentic black representation in cinema, in front of the camera and behind it, has been long and tortuous.” [New York Times]
4. Better late than never? The Metropolitan Museum of Art will display indigenous art in its American wing, making it the first time indigenous art will appear outside of the Art of Africa, Oceania and the Americas wing. Hyperallergic notes: “In spaces like the Met’s American Wing, often the only images of Native American people and culture were by non-indigenous creators.” [Hyperallergic]
5. Kenyatta Hinckle’s “The Evanesced” addresses missing black women, something especially timely in the light of a recent campaign focused on missing black girls in D.C. championed by celebrities like Viola Davis. [New York Times]
6. Blockchain is often criticized for being beyond everyday use, but now you can use it to buy your coffee. The Bext360 app helps cut out the middleman between the consumer and the coffee grower, helping to empower growers. The app “hopes to sell the machines to community co-operatives or through NGOs.” [Fast Company]
7. In case Black Mirror hasn't freaked you out enough, you can now visit an exhibition that brings it closer to real life. London’s Barbican Center is hosting "Into the Unknown: A Journey Through Science Fiction," which will screen parts of a Black Mirror episode and an immersive entrance. [Dazed Digital]